Pinotage shines at Veritas Awards with the most double gold medals
This year’s Veritas Awards ceremony, held in Cape Town during October, started on a good note with five Pinotage wines receiving double gold medals, with a further 19 red wines received gold.
T his is the most double gold medals for any red wine category or varietal and is just another indication that Pinotage is continuing the excessive growth in quality that we have seen in the past decade.
Winemakers are really getting in-sync with their terroir and they are producing exceptional quality wines that can stand out on any international wine stage.
According to Beyers Truter it is immensely satisfying to see that the hard work and efforts done by the Pinotage Association and Pinotage stakeholders over the past two decades is reaping rewards.
Competitions like the Absa Top 10 Pinotage Awards has contributed in raising the quality of the Pinotage wines and increased the commitment from many winemakers to South Africa’s national red wine varietal.
Truter congratulated all the double gold and gold medal winning Pinotage and Cape Blend winning wines and thanked the winemakers for their ongoing pursue of making world class red wines.
The double gold winning wines originate from Robertson, Wellington, Botriver and Stellenbosch respectively and is another indication that the Pinotage quality spectrum are evident in a wide range of South African wine producing regions.
The 5 Double Gold winning Pinotage wines
• La Cave Pinotage 2018 (Wellington Wines)
• Simonsig Redhill Pinotage 2017
• Simonsig Redhill Pinotage 2014
• Viljoensdrift River Grandeur Single Vineyard Pinotage 2017
• Wildekrans Barrel Select Pinotage Reserve 2016
Apart from the double gold winning wines other Pinotage wines also performed exceptionally well with a further 12 wines receiving Veritas gold medals.
The gold medal winning wines originate from Stellenbosch, Durbanville, Worcester, Paarl, and the Swartland respectively, which adds up to seven regions represented in the gold or better medal tally for Pinotage wines.
The Veritas Gold Medal winning Pinotage wines
• Alvi’s Drift Verreaux Pinotage 2016
• Asara Private Cellar Vineyard Collection Pinotage 2017
• Diemersdal MM Louw Pinotage 2017
• Diemersdal Pinotage Reserve 2018
• Diemersdal Pinotage Reserve 2017
• Fleur du Cap Series Privée Pinotage 2016
• KWV The Mentors Pinotage (Coastal Region) 2017
• L’Avenir Pinotage 2016
• Lyngrove Platinum Pinotage 2017
• Meerhof Pinotage 2018
• Neethlingshof The Owl Post Pinotage 2018
• Windmeul T.P.D. Briers The Legend Collection Pinotage 2017
The Pinotage driven Cape Blend wines also performed admirable as 7 wines received gold medals and completed a wonderful evening for Pinotage driven red wines.
The Veritas Gold winning Cape Blend wines
• Anura Signature Cape Cuvee 2015
• Beyerskloof Faith 2016
• Cape West Pinotage/Malbec/Cabernet Sauvignon Limited Release 2018
• Flagstone Dragon Tree Cape Blend 2017
• KWV Abraham Perold Tributum 2014
• Lyngrove Platinum Latitude Cape Blend 2017
• Wildekrans Cape Blend Barrel Select Reserve 2016
The remarkable medal tally is another reason to be proud of Pinotage and celebrate this uniquely South African wine this Pinotage month.